Sunday, August 28, 2011

POETRY PICNIC WK 2 : The Kiss


My friends, I am Shashi and the host for the Second week of creativity and enjoyment at The Gooseberry Garden for Poetry Picnic WK 2.

It’s my pleasure to be the anchor for this week’s poetry Picnic and I am grateful that all of you, friends, follow it so diligently. So every week, it’s my job to let your creativity take a leap and produce interesting thoughts in verses as well as read some beautiful creations from our very talented and creative friends.

This week is going to be very interesting as we are going to touch upon our first feelings of love. The heightened sense of being in love, the first lingering touch of our sense, passion and pleasure shared with someone so loved as to leave our ego’s our ‘me’ aside and surrender completely to ‘be’ in the moment. Live life of the moment as completely as one with the negation of our selves... Go back to your first love, first kiss and the first touch of someone you could almost die for ... Lets whisper to each other the sense of feeling that we felt at that time... I remember someone saying “ love is a feeling you feel that you are going to feel a feeling you never felt before...” So here you are friends, get your thoughts and feelings ready... to share with each of us.. and let us know in your own whispers... how did it all felt... “The Kiss”

But before that let me tell you what we are going to do next week...
We will be looking at ‘OBJECT’.... Sometimes, we get inspired to write about something that we see very closely.. and we write about it with our totality in seeing what we are seeing... A Tree, some mountain, train, an animal or just a sunset or the sea or a person walking by can inspire within, an epic poetry... so we will take a close look at the things happening around us and write about it... to share an interesting form of poetry that is all about an object...

Poetry Picnic WK 2 : The Kiss
Now coming to this week’s ‘The Kiss’ topic... here is a brief introduction about the most famous painting by Klimt... "The Kiss" a painting, I always wanted to see, touch and feel. This painting has inspired generations and for me, it was a great moment to spent an hour in the front of the painting “The Kiss” in the Beveldere Museum, Vienna this July.



The Kiss By Gustav Klimt
The Kiss (original Der Kuss) was painted by Gustav Klimt, and is probably his most famous work. He began work on it in 1907 and it is the highpoint of his so-called 'Golden Period'. It depicts a couple, in various shades of gold and symbols, sharing a kiss against a bronze background.

Two figures are situated at the edge of a flowered escarpment. The man is wearing neutral colored rectangles and a crown of vines; the woman wears brightly colored tangent circles and flowers in her hair. The couple’s embrace is enveloped by triangular vining and a veil of concentric circles.

In The Kiss, Klimt depicted a couple locked in an embrace. The rest of the painting dissolves into shimmering, extravagant flat patterning. This patterning has clear ties to Art Nouveau and to the Arts and Crafts movement and also evokes the conflict between two- and three-dimensionality intrinsic to the work of Degas and other modernists. Paintings such as The Kiss were visual manifestations of fin-de-siecle spirit because they capture a decadence conveyed by opulent and sensuous images.

The Kiss is a discreet expression of Klimt’s emphasis on eroticism and the liberation therein. The Kiss falls in line with Klimt’s exploration of fulfillment and the redeeming, transformative power of love and art. The Kiss deviates from Klimt’s frequent portrayal of woman as the lascivious femme fatale.
______________
Text and Image Source : Curtsy Wikipedia

Now here are some interesting poetry on “The Kiss” and hope that you all get inspired from it to produce your own unique thoughts in verses and share... The first one is by an amazing Persian poet and writer RUMI. I have loved his verses on love and been inspired since ages... and the second one is from another great poet Lord Byron.... hope you all enjoy it.

Some Kiss We Want
________________

There is some kiss we want with
our whole lives, the touch of

spirit on the body. Seawater
begs the pearl to break its shell.

And the lily, how passionately
it needs some wild darling! At

night, I open the window and ask
the moon to come and press its

face against mine. Breathe into
me. Close the language- door and

open the love window. The moon
won't use the door, only the window.

________________
By RUMI

THE FIRST KISS OF LOVE
_____________________
Away with your fictions of flimsy romance,
     Those tissues of falsehood which Folly has wove;
Give me the mild beam of the soul-breathing glance,
     Or the rapture which dwells on the first kiss of love.

Ye rhymers, whose bosoms with fantasy glow,
     Whose pastoral passions are made for the grove;
From what best inspiration your sonnets would flow,
     Could you ever have tasted the first kiss of love.

If Apollo should e'er his assistance refuse,
     Or the Nine be disposed from your service to rove,
Invoke them no more, bid adieu to the Muse,
     And try the effect, of the first kiss of love.

I hate you, ye cold compositions of art,
     Though prudes may condemn me, and bigots reprove;
I court the effusions that spring from the heart,
     Which throbs, with delight, to the first kiss of love.

Your shepherds, your flocks, those fantastical themes,
     Perhaps may amuse, yet they never can move:
Arcadia displays but a region of dreams;
     What are visions like these, to the first kiss of love?

Oh! cease to affirm that man, since his birth,
     From Adam, till now, has with wretchedness strove;
Some portion of Paradise still is on earth,
     And Eden revives, in the first kiss of love.

When age chills the blood, when our pleasures are past—
     For years fleet away with the wings of the dove—
The dearest remembrance will still be the last,
     Our sweetest memorial, the first kiss of love.
____________________________________________

Thanks for joining us to support poetry, poetry promotion, and poetry sharing here at The Gooseberry Garden Poetry Picnic!!!

How To submit your poetry?
Add your entry via InLinkz below by clicking on the blue button, and leave a comment in case it is your first time! It would be great if you could link back to us on your blog.
Weekly poetry collection starts on Sunday, 8pm (CDT), and will stay open till Thursday 8pm (CDT),  96 hours for you to share your poetry with us...
Please share your poetry, comment below and read some very talented artists and have fun! 
______
Shashi
 नमः शिवाय
Om Namah Shivaya


33 comments:

Jingle Poetry At Olive Garden said...

amazing one, another job well done,
shashi.

Morning said...

welcome to another week of poetry, love, and life here

at the gooseberry garden!

thanks for the support, inspirations, and dedications.

Ava said...

It is an amazing piece of art.

LBTL said...

Nice intro as usual, well done! :)

Rinkly Rimes said...

I love Klimt! He was a designer as well as a story-teller. I believe he was also a womaniser, so he knew his subject well. My offering is a bit preachy.

Teresa Marie said...

Shashi, I submitted my link wrong the first time and then didn't know how to get it back off of there :( So I did it again, but it's the same poem - not two different ones. Then I clicked it to see if it was right and it still didn't work right! Can you remove them so that I can get the right one on there? I'm so sorry! I'm having a bad MS day and doing all kinds of stuff wrong today. Please let me know. Thanks

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Beautifully done!

Anonymous said...

i love "The Kiss" and have used artwork by Klimt in a few of my posts. i actually was inspired by a close-up of this painting for a set of haiku on 29 June 2011. i had intended to write an original poem for this week until i saw the prompt. {smile} i will write something just for The Poetry Picnic next week! thank you for all you're doing, Shashi ~ another wonderful post!

Anonymous said...

Love the new site and concept. Glad to be participating again.

JP

kaykuala said...

I like the Klimt Art. In is somewhat an impressionist but more pronounced. If I'm the moon I would go also for the window. Beautiful write!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, friend.

enjoy yourself.

deeju said...

beautiful concept to be taken as a subject for poetry!

Gigi Ann said...

This has happened to me again. I sign up but the link does not work, It does not go to my blog. It happened the last time I signed up also. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

My poem is here... http://annsshadowsofmymind.blogspot.com

I don't know if that will work or not. I hope so.

The Gooseberry Garden said...

Hi, Gigi Ann,

when I do it, it works perfectly fine.

it may takes a while for your link to pop up and show.

for those who have trouble linking, please leave your entry in the comment, I will link in for you.

cheers.

Bubba said...

My piece is about a different kind of kissing, the kind done by the sea.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

gigi Ann,

when you link in, you link is doubled in the linkz, I looked at it, removed the extra part, it shall work fine now.

cheers.
appreciate your patience and sunshine to us.

Anonymous said...

welcome all.

anything related or unrelated are welcome.

Thanks for coming, Eric.

Lord Emmanuel said...

I am here this week and looking forward to reading where muses wondered to with the theme. Cheers!

Hope said...

exciting intro. and poem choices, Shashi! Great topic and I am linking up this time although my poems are not on the subject and I am still on summer break but this will get me warmed up, I'm sure. :)

thank you for your invite once more

Anonymous said...

I love the Klimt painting (most of his work, actually), but inspiration took me down a slightly different, though related, route today... (might come back to the painting again later) Fantastic work, Shashi!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the theme.

Kay said...

A beautiful theme, and I adore your choice of poets. Rumi is among my favorites. Thank you!

Maxwell Mead Williams Robinson Barry said...

Thanks for the fabulous poetry treats.

enjoyed reading your talent.

keep them coming.

will have another feed tomorrow.

cheers.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Wow so many poets around here. I have written something but not about kiss, it's about life.

http://www.obstaclesandglories.com/2011/08/gods-marvelous-gift.html

Rek Sesh said...

Lovely choices...mine not exactly about the kiss but maybe a nasty repercussion of it and more.

Anonymous said...

Some really good writing here. I feel quite poor in my offering on the subject now, but I'm glad to be participating in this poetry group. Thanks for the invite :-)

Life said...

my blog may not be related to the theme but its a medley of poems i had, which was gifted to me by someone.....:)

by Life (Blog: BALLERINA'S SMILE)

Susie Clevenger said...

I am such a hopeless romantic...my poem reflects it...thank you for the prompt

Maxwell Mead Williams Robinson Barry said...

being romantic is innocent, who won't? Susie.

Thanks for sharing..everyone.

Dave King said...

A great subject. I shall post my effort 6am tomorrow (BST) Thanks for the prompt.

PhotoDiction said...

Since I wrote about clouds today, I just couldn't get something about kissing. But you can imagine the fluffy clouds in the photo that accompanies my poem just reaching down and kissing you with their magic. How's that? :)

Jingle Poetry At Olive Garden said...

all welcome, PhotoDiction.

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

My entry's not about the picture, but is about a kiss. It's somewhat similar to Eric's entry.